The Birthday celebrations went on and on at the Green’s with Friday night dancing at The Old Mill, Saturday volunteering at the local high School, and Sunday church and lunch with dear friends.
Before another moment got away from Mrs. Green, she wanted to start her new journal. Throughout the year Mrs. Green jotted down this and that in a journal she kept on the side table, next to her favorite chair, in the living room.
Mrs. Green settled herself and Ampersand under a green and purple quilt. It was well worn from use. She smoothed the quilt with her hands and tucked Ampersand in next to her. Ampersand let out a comfortable sigh. Mrs. Green felt a familiar excitement as she opened the journal for the first time. It had flowers on the cover and a ribbon to keep her place.
This birthday tradition started when Mrs. Green’s mother had given her a beautiful flowered covered journal, when she was a very young girl. Inside the journal, in her mother’s script, were carefully chosen journal rules.
Mrs. Green held her favorite pen in her hand and wrote down the journal rules she had memorized many years ago.
- Only write when you want to.
- Spelling, grammar, and punctuation do not count.
- Rejoice in what you have, who you are, and who you have yet to become.
- Look fondly to the future, the past, and embrace the age you are today.
- Give of yourself often and with everything you have, for you are a true gift.
- Search high and low for Joy. It is a treasure to be sought with your whole heart.
- Slow down.
- Be gracious, and forgive.
- Choose your words, actions, and friends wisely.
- Remember how much you are truly loved.
Copyright Terri Neagle Donaldson 2015
Terri Neagle Donaldson and Stressfreestories, 2015. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Terri Neagle Donaldson and Stressfreestories with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.